"EAST TYTHERLEY, (or Tuderley, East), a parish in the hundred of Thorngate, county Hants, 7 miles S.W. of Stockbridge, and 2 from the Dunbridge railway station. The Roman road from Winchester to Salisbury passed through this parish under Danebury Hill, near which are many barrows and tumuli. The principal residence is Tytherley House, the seat of General Yates. The living is a donative curacy in the diocese of Winchester, value £50. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, contains two effigies of priests with crosses, and several monuments to the Gifford and Rolle families. There is an agricultural school called Queenwood Farm, occupying the extensive buildings formerly known as Harmony Hall, where Robert Owen tried his socialistic experiment; also a free school with an income of £200 per annum, founded by Sarah Rolle in 1736. Sir Francis Goldsmid is lord of the manor and principal proprietor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]