"ELING, a parish in the hundred of Redbridge, Romsey division of county Hants, 3 miles N.W. of Southampton, its post town. The Totton station, on the London and South-Western railway, is about 1; mile to the N.W. of the village. It is situated at the upper end of the Southampton Water, near the river:Test, and is of great extent, including several townships and hamlets, the principal of which are North and South Eling, Marchwood, Netley, and Totton, and the manor of Bury Farm, which last is held of the crown by the tenure of presenting to the king, on his visiting the New Forest, a brace of white greyhounds in silver couples, which ceremony was last performed in 1789, on the event of George III.'s visit to Lindhurst. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]