"ELING, a parish in the hundred of Redbridge, Romsey division of county Hants, 3 miles N.W. of Southampton, its post town. The Totton station, on the London and South-Western railway, is about 1; mile to the N.W. of the village. It is situated at the upper end of the Southampton Water, near the river:Test, and is of great extent, including several townships and hamlets, the principal of which are North and South Eling, Marchwood, Netley, and Totton, and the manor of Bury Farm, which last is held of the crown by the tenure of presenting to the king, on his visiting the New Forest, a brace of white greyhounds in silver couples, which ceremony was last performed in 1789, on the event of George III.'s visit to Lindhurst. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|(no dedication), Bartley|
|Christ Church, Colbury|
|St Anne, Calmore|
|St John the Apostle, Marchwood|
|St Mary, Copythorne|
|St Mary, Eling|
|St Matthew, Netley Marsh|
|St Winfrid, Testwood|
|Testwood Baptist Church, Totton|
|Totton Methodist Church, Totton|
|St Theresa of the Child Jesus, Totton|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Eling to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Eling has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Eling from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU345130 (Lat/Lon: 50.915585, -1.51062), Eling which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)