"ELLINGHAM, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Fordingbridge, county Hants, 2 miles N. of Ringwood, its post town and railway station on the London and South-Western railway, and 4 S. of Fordingbridge. It is situated on the banks of the river Avon. A cell to St. Saviour's, Normandy, was founded here in the reign of Henry II., by W. de Salariis, of which there are some traces, and given to Eton, by Henry VI. The surface is flat and the soil a gravelly loam, mixed with sand. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £159 in the patronage of Eton College. The church occupies the site of the ancient cell, some portions of it being the same materials. It is dedicated to St. Mary. In the churchyard is a plain stone commemorating the execution of Lady Lisle, who was beheaded by Judge Jeffreys in her old age, on a charge of harbouring rebels in her mansion of Moyle's Court. The charities produce about £5 per annum. The Earl of Normanton is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]