"EMPSHOT, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Selborne, county Hants, 5 miles N. of Petersfield, its post town, and 6 S.E. of Alton. The Liss station on the London and South-Western railway is about 2 miles S.E. of the village. Hops are much cultivated in this parish, which is hilly. Stone of good quality is quarried for building purposes. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £103. The church is a handsome structure, recently restored. It is dedicated to the Holy Rood, and contains a richly carved oak screen. There is a National school for both sexes. The Rev. Thomas Butler is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]