"EXBURY, a parish in the liberty of Beaulieu, county Hants, 6 miles to the N.E. of Lymington, and 9 from Southampton, its post town. The Beaulieu Road station is about 7 miles to the N.W. of the village, which is situated on the river Beaulieu, over which is a ferry to St. Leonard's. The parish includes the tything of Lepe, a small fishing town. White bricks are made here. The haven to which it gives name is navigable for vessels of 50 tons burthen. There are salt-works near the village. The neighbourhood is beautifully wooded, chiefly with natural oak. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Winchester, annexed to the rectory* of Fawley, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a modern structure of white brick, and has a monument to the historian Mitford. There is a National school. Henry Mitford, Esq., is lord of the manor. Exbury House is the principal residence. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]