National Gazetteer (1868) - Farley Chamberlayne
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"FARLEY-CHAMBERLAYNE, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Micheldever, Winchester division of county Hants, 5 miles N.E. of Romsey, its post town, and 6 S.E. of the railway station at Winchester. It includes the tything of Slackstead. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £369. The church is a small stone structure, with square tower, dedicated to St. John, and containing several monuments of the St. John family. The Manor House of Slackstead was the residence of Sternhold. "SLACKSTEAD, a tything in the parish of Farley-Chamberlayne, county Hants, 6 miles S.W. of Winchester."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]