National Gazetteer (1868) - Farlington
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"FARLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Portsdown, Fareham division of county Hants, 4 miles W. of Havant, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Portsmouth. It is situated on the N. shore of Langston Harbour, in the vicinity of Portsdown Hill, and contains the hamlet of Purbrook, with the villages of Wheat-Lane End and Stokes. In the parish are situated the waterworks for supply of Portsmouth. The enclosure called Mudlands, formerly subject to inundations by the sea, is now effectually protected. The living is a rectory*in the diocese of Winchester, value £529. The parish church is an ancient structure, with fine E. window and piscina. There is also the district church of Purhrook, a perpetual curacy, value £50, in the patronage of the rector. J. Deverell, Esq., is lord of the manor. "PURBROOK, a village in the parishes of Farlington and Widley, county Hants, 6 miles N.E. of Portsmouth. It is situated near Portsdown Hill."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]