"FARNBOROUGH, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Crondall, Odiham division of county Hants, 5½ miles N.E. of Farnham, and 32 from London. It has stations on the London and South-Western and the South-Eastern railways, and is a post town. The Basingstoke canal passes through the parish, of which nearly half is in heath and plantations. The surface is undulating, and the soil is generally gravel and sand. Farnborough is the head of a Poor-law Union and of a superintendent registry, but is included within the Farnham new County Court district. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £123. The Baptists have a chapel. There are charities of about £3 per annum. George Morant, Esq., is lord of the manor. Farnborough Place is the principal residence. In this parish are several tumuli. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
|Cove Methodist Church, Cove|
|Hawley Lane Methodist Church, Farnborough|
|North Camp Methodist Church, Farnborough|
|Our Lady and St Dominic, Farnborough|
|Our Lady Help of Christians, Farnborough|
|St Dominic, Farnborough|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Farnborough to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Farnborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Farnborough from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU874556 (Lat/Lon: 51.292726, -0.748487), Farnborough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)