"FORDINGBRIDGE, a parish and market town, partly in the upper division, and partly in the lower division of the hundred of Fordingbridge, county Hants, 7 miles N. of Ringwood, 23 S.W. of Winchester, and 92 from London. The nearest railway station is Ringwood, on the London and South-Western line. It is situated on the river Avon, which is here crossed by a bridge of seven arches. The parish lies close upon the borders of Dorsetshire, and includes the hamlets of Bickton, Burgate, Godshill, Gorley, Midgham, and Stuckton. In the Domesday Survey this is called Forde, and is stated to have had a church and mills. The principal employment of the people is in the preparation of flax, but calico printing and the manufacture of sailcloth are also carried on. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]