"HALE, a parish in the hundred of Fordingbridge, Ringwood division of county Hants, 4 miles N.E. of Fordingbridge, and 2 S.E. of Downton, its post town. It is bounded on the W. by the river Avon, which is here navigable. Nearly half the parish is in wood and common, the rest arable and pasture. The district around Hale House is richly wooded with oak, elm, and fir, but the other ,parts consist of elevated downs. The population is mostly agricultural. The living is a donative curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £270. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. J. Goff, Esq., is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]