"HAMBLEDON, a parish and market town in the hundreds of Meon-Stoke and Hambledon, Droxford division of county Hants, 9 miles S.E. of Bishops Waltham, and 8 from Fareham, railway station. The parish, which is of large extent, contains the tythings of Chidden, Denmead, Ervills, and Windmill Down. The population is almost wholly agricultural. The northern part of the parish is chiefly open downs. In the vicinity of the village, which is considerable, are many gentlemen's seats. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £529, in the patronage of the bishop, who is lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and has a peal of six bells. There is a National school for boys and girls. The parochial charities are shared with Breamore. In the four tythings of the parish are the remains of four ancient chapels, and on the downs are barrows. A market is hold on Tuesday, and fairs on the 18th February, 1st Tuesday in May, and 22nd October. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hambledon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hambledon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Hambledon from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU646147 (Lat/Lon: 50.928358, -1.081767), Hambledon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)