"HAMBLE-LE-RICE, a parish in the hundred of Mainsbridge, Southampton division of county Hants, 5 miles S.E. of Southampton. It is situated at the mouth of the river Hamble, which is navigable as far as Botley. It is bounded on the S. by Southampton Water. The quay is accessible to vessels of considerable burden, which are employed in the fishery. The living is a donative curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, in the patronage of Winchester College. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice, with some traces of Norman architecture, and contains a monument to Sir Joseph York. A National school for boys and girls was built here in 1840. An alien priory of Cistercian monks was founded here by Henry Blois, Bishop of Winchester, as a cell to the abbey of Tirone, in France. After the suppression of alien priories, its lands were granted to New College, Oxford. On a point of land projecting into the sea are some remains of St. Andrew's Castle. Here is a coastguard station, and in the estuary of the river is a lobster fishery. Southampton Water affords a convenient retreat for shipping. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]