National Gazetteer (1868) - Hartley Wespall
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"HARTLEY-WESTPALL, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Holdshott, county Hants, 6 miles N.E. from Basingstoke station, and 10 from Reading. The river Loddon flows through the parish. The surface is undulating and the land arable. The people are mostly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £315, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, and is an ancient edifice. There is a National school. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge. W. T. Hawley, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]