"HARTLEY-WINTNEY, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Odiham, county Hants, 2½ miles from the Winchfield station on the London and South-Western railway. The land is principally arable and meadow, and watered by the river Loddon. The population is mostly agricultural. It is the head of a Poor-law Union, and of a superintendent registry district. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £108. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a Baptist chapel. The parochial charities produce £11 per annum. A Cistercian nunnery, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Mary Magdalene, and St. John the Baptist, was founded here in the reign of William the Conqueror. At the Dissolution it contained a prioress and 17 nuns, and had a revenue of £69 1s. Hartley Rao is in this parish, and is a meet for the Bramshill hounds. A large cattle fair is held on the 4th of December, and a fair and races on the 29th June. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Hartley Wintney to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Hartley Wintney has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Hartley Wintney from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU760567 (Lat/Lon: 51.304243, -0.911694), Hartley Wintney which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)