"HAVANT, a parish, liberty, and market town, in the Fareham division of county Hants, 27 miles S.E. of Southampton, and 28 from Winchester. It is a station on the London, Brighton, and South Coast, and Guildford, Godalming, and New Portsmouth lines of railway. The town is situated on the old road from Southampton and Fareham to Chichester, and consists of one long street, intersected by another at right angles, called East, West, North, and South streets. It contains a savings-bank and a subscription news-room, with a book club. The population are mostly occupied in tanning, malting, brewing, and in the coal and flour trades; the manufacture of parchment is also carried on. There was formerly a very extensive fishery in Langston harbour, but now there are only oyster beds. A new quay was constructed in 1840 on the Portsmouth side of the bridge, which has greatly increased the trade in coal and timber. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]