"HEADLEY, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Alton, county Hants, 8 miles S. of the Farnham railway station, and 4 from Liphook, its post town. It contains the hamlet of Hatchet. The parish, which covers an area of 7,000 acres, has upwards of 3,000 acres of waste land, a great portion of which is in process of reclamation. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £776, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower with two bells. There is a school, founded and endowed in 1755 by the Rev. G. Holmes, for the education of 12 poor children. It is the head of a Poor-law Union, and the union workhouse is situated in this parish. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]