"EAST COWES, a district in the parish of Whippingham, Isle of Wight, in the county of Hants, 5 miles N. of Newport. It is situated at the mouth of, the river Medina, opposite the town of West Cowes. Since Osborne has become the property of her Majesty, and been made her marine residence, the village has greatly increased in size, and at the last census contained 2,000 inhabitants. The Trinity Board have a station here, which serves for a landing-place for the Queen when bad weather hinders her Majesty from landing under Osborne. There was formerly a custom-house establishment here, but having been removed to West Cowes, the building has been converted into a coastguard station. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]