"ITCHIN-ABBAS, a parish in the hundred of Bountisborough, Winchester division of county Hants, 3 miles W. of Alresford, and 5 N.E. of Winchester, its post town. It is situated on the river Itchin. There formerly existed a small priory, part of which has been converted into a private mansion. The parish, which is well wooded, consists chiefly of arable land, with about 60 acres of water meadow. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £448. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £468. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a plain building with a wooden tower containing three bells. A gallery has been recently added. There is a free school, founded and endowed by the late Nathaniel Bailey. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]