"ITCHEN STOKE, a parish in the hundred of Bountisborough, Winchester division of county Hants, 2 miles W. of Alresford, its post town, and 6 N.E. of Winchester. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Itchin. The turnpike road from Alresford to Winchester passes through the parish. The surface is boldly undulating and well wooded. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £8 4s. 4d., and the vicarial for £320. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £260. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern edifice with a tower containing two bells. There is a National school for both sexes supported by Lord Ashburton, who is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]