"KILMISTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Fawley, Winchester division of county Hants, 4½ miles S. of New Alresford, its post town, and 8 miles E. of the Winchester railway station. There are some barrows on the Downs. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £350 7s. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Cheriton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is crowned with a spire. The charities produce £4 per annum, which goes to the support of a school. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kilmeston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kilmeston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Kilmeston from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU590260 (Lat/Lon: 51.030273, -1.160517), Kilmeston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)