National Gazetteer (1868) - Kimpton
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"KIMPTON, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Andover, county Hants, 5 miles W. of Andover, its post town and railway station, and 3 S.E. of Ludgershall. The land is chiefly arable. The inhabitants are engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £530. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £400. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has been repaired and much improved by the erection of a tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school. "UPPER SHODDESDEN, (and Lower Shoddesden) hamlets in the parish of Kimpton, county Hants, 6 miles N.W. of Andover."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]