"KING'S SOMBOURN, a parish partly in the hundred of King's Sombourn, and partly in that of Lower Buddlesgate, county Hants, 3 miles S. of Stockbridge, its post town, and 8½ W. of Winchester. The village, which is large, is chiefly agricultural. King's Sombourn is mentioned in Domesday Book, where it is spelled Somberne Regis. Prior to the Norman conquest it was part of a demesne belonging to the crown, and now forms part of the duchy of Lancaster. John of Gaunt had a palace here, the site of which remains near the National school. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the iron foundries. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Little Sombourn annexed, in the diocese of Winchester, joint value £696. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient edifice with a wooden tower containing four bells. The register dates from 1762. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. The President and Fellows of Magdalen College are lords of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]