"KINGSCLERE, a parish and market town in the hundred of Kingsclere, county Hants, 6 miles S. of Thatcham, 6 N. of Ashton, and 7 S.E. of Newbury, its post town. The parish, which is extensive and highly cultivated, is situated on the Downs, near the northern extremity of the county. It contains the tythings of Woodlands and Clerewoodcot, with nine others. The land is well wooded, and the extensive common was enclosed under an Act passed in 1842. The soil is various, but generally fertile. A small spring near the town turns four mills within 1½ mile of its source. Barley is widely sown, and malting is carried on rather extensively. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]