"LECKFORD, a parish in the hundred of Upper Thorngate, county Hants, 2 miles N.E. of Stockbridge, its post town, and 5½ S. of Andover. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Test and Andover canal. A fishing club is established here, supported by the Earl of Craven and other gentlemen. The land is chiefly arable, with some excellent pasturage for sheep. There are several chalk pits in this parish. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £400, and the vicarial for £142 10s. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £142, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Leckford in the Cathedral of Winchester. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing three bells. There is also a district church, the living of which is a sinecure rectory, value £400, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. William Longman, Esq., and Arthur Eden, Esq., are lords of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]