"LECKFORD, a parish in the hundred of Upper Thorngate, county Hants, 2 miles N.E. of Stockbridge, its post town, and 5½ S. of Andover. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Test and Andover canal. A fishing club is established here, supported by the Earl of Craven and other gentlemen. The land is chiefly arable, with some excellent pasturage for sheep. There are several chalk pits in this parish. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £400, and the vicarial for £142 10s. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £142, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Leckford in the Cathedral of Winchester. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing three bells. There is also a district church, the living of which is a sinecure rectory, value £400, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. William Longman, Esq., and Arthur Eden, Esq., are lords of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Leckford to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Leckford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Leckford from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU390369 (Lat/Lon: 51.129703, -1.444058), Leckford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)