National Gazetteer (1868) - Litchfield
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LITCHFIELD, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Kingsclere, county Hants, 3½ miles N. of Whitchurch, its post town. It is situated in a valley near the Roman way from Silchester, and on the modern road from Oxford to Southampton. The village consists of a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £400. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £347. The church is a small ancient structure dedicated to St. James. William Kingsmill, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. There is also a small place of this name on the line of the South-Western railway, about 3 miles S.E. of Whitchurch."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]