"LONGPARISH, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Wherwell, county Hants, 4 miles W. of Andover, and 4 S.W. of Whitchurch, its post town. The London and South-Western railway has a station 6 miles N.W. from the village. It is situated on the river Jest, or Anton, and includes the townships of Forton and Middleton, with the tythings of East and West Aston. The parish, which is of large extent, is almost wholly arable and woodland. The surface is flat, and the soil gravelly. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value £226. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure. There is a small charity left by Thomas Blake in 1796 for the purpose of educating children. The Baptists have a chapel. H. Beaumont Coles, Esq., is lord of the manor. Longparish House is the principal residence. "EAST ASTON, (and West Aston) tythings in the parish of Longparish, and hundred of Upper Wherwell, in the county of Southampton, 3 miles from Whitchurch. They are watered by the river Anton. "FORTON, a tything in the parish of Longparish, county Hants, 3 miles S.E. of Andover. "MIDDLETON, a tything in the parish of Longparish, county Hants, 4 miles S.E. of Andover. It is situated on the river Anton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]