"LONGSTOCK, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Thorngate, county Hants, 1 mile N. of Stockbridge, its post town, and 6 miles S. of Andover. It lies at the base of Longstock Hill, and is watered by the river Anton. The Andover canal passes through the parish. The land is chiefly arable. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £433, and the vicarial for one of £315. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £285. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. The charities amount to £15 per annum. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel, and there is a school, supported by resident families. The Rev. Sir J. B. Mill, Bart., is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]