Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - Lyndhurst

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Lyndhurst

"LYNDHURST, a parish and town in the hundred of Redbridge, Romsey division of county Hants, 8 miles N. of Lymington, and 10 S.W. of Southampton. It is situated in the centre of the New Forest, 1½ mile S.W. by W. of Lyndhurst Road station on the London and South-Western railway. The courts of attachment and the swainmote courts for the New Forest are held in the Verderer's Hall, Queen's House, the former every forty days, and the latter on 14th September. The courts leet and courts baron for the manor of Lyndhurst, of which the Queen is lady, are also held here. The house, which is the official residence of the warden, is of no interest, although it occupies a beautiful site. A stirrup,-which is said to have belonged to William II., is exhibited there.

Northwood House, which was frequently visited by George III., is about half a mile to the N.W., surrounded by wood and commanding a view of the Solent and the Isle of Wight. Other seats in the neighbourhood are Park Hill, New Park, Vernalls, Rosier, Gascoigne, Shrubs Hill, and Cuffnalls, the seat of Sir Edw. Poore. The New Forest hounds have their kennels here. Lyndhurst gives the title of baron to the Copleys of Turville Park. It is included in the county court district of Southampton, in the diocese and archdeaconry of Winchester and the deanery of Fawley. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Minstead, the joint value being £355. The church, St. Michael's, is a modern structure, built on the site of a more ancient one which was rebuilt by George II. The parochial endowments realise about £80, of which £26 are for school purposes. There is a Baptist chapel, and a National school for both sexes. The petty sessions are held on the first Wednesday in every month. The population was in 1851, 1,527. It contains 3,560 acres."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]