"MITCHELDEVER, (or Micheldever), a parish and post town in the hundred of Mitcheldever, county Hants, 7 miles N. of Winchester, and 9 S. by E. of Whitchurch. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the South-Western. railway, on which there is a station about 2¼ miles from the village; the post-office adjoins the station. The parish includes the tythings of West Stratton and Weston-Colley. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of East Stratton annexed, in the diocese of Winchester, value £326. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern structure with an embattled tower. The interior contains monuments by Chantrey, and tablets to the Baring family. The church was erected in lieu of the old one destroyed by fire in 1806, with the exception of a portion of the old tower, at an expense of £10,000, entirely defrayed by Sir Francis Baring. There are almshouses for fifty aged and infirm poor, also a free school. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]