"MITCHELDEVER, (or Micheldever), a parish and post town in the hundred of Mitcheldever, county Hants, 7 miles N. of Winchester, and 9 S. by E. of Whitchurch. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the South-Western. railway, on which there is a station about 2¼ miles from the village; the post-office adjoins the station. The parish includes the tythings of West Stratton and Weston-Colley. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of East Stratton annexed, in the diocese of Winchester, value £326. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern structure with an embattled tower. The interior contains monuments by Chantrey, and tablets to the Baring family. The church was erected in lieu of the old one destroyed by fire in 1806, with the exception of a portion of the old tower, at an expense of £10,000, entirely defrayed by Sir Francis Baring. There are almshouses for fifty aged and infirm poor, also a free school. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Micheldever to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Micheldever has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Micheldever from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU519401 (Lat/Lon: 51.157639, -1.258707), Micheldever which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)