National Gazetteer (1868) - Michelmersh
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"MITCHELMERSH, (or Michelmersh), a parish-in the hundred of Lower Thorngate, Romsey division of county Hants, 4 miles N.E. of Romsey, its post town, and 11 from Southampton. The village is situated near the Andover canal, and is wholly agricultural. The parish is extensive, containing the hamlets of Brashfield and Awbridge. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £814. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £550, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient flint and stone structure, and has recently been restored. It has a font of great antiquity, and the eastern window is of stained glass. There is a tablet bearing date 1538; also an effigy of a knight in armour. There is also a district church at Brashfield, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £50. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum, which goes to a Sunday-school. There are three parochial schools, and a place of worship for the Wesleyans; also one at Awbridge for the Independents. "AWBRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Mitchelmersh, hundred of Lower Thorngate, in the county of Southampton, 2 miles from Romsey. It is not far from the border of Wiltshire. The Andover canal and the Salisbury branch of the South Western railway pass within a short distance. The chief residences in the neighbourhood are Awbridge Danes and Awbridge House. "BRASHFIELD, a hamlet in the parish of Mitchelmersh, hundred of Thorngate, in the county of Southampton, 3 miles to the N. of Romsey."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]