"MONXTON, (or Monkston), a parish in the lower half division of the hundred of Andover, county Hants, 3¼ miles W. of Andover, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £340. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £338, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat structure, with a slate spire tower containing two bells. The chancel has some stained windows. The register dates from 1716. The Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Monxton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Monxton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Monxton from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU312434 (Lat/Lon: 51.189341, -1.554694), Monxton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)