"MOTTISFONT, a parish in the hundred of Thorngate, county Hants, 4½ miles N. of Romsey, its post town, and 12 from Salisbury. It has a railway station at Dunbridge. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a valley on the river Anton, and is chiefly agricultural. Prior to the reign of Henry VII. Mottisfont was of some importance. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £500. The living is a rectory* with the curacies of Lockerley and East Dean annexed, in the diocese of Winchester, value £900. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient flint and stone structure with a square wooden belfry containing five bells. The church is partly covered with ivy, and is adorned with several stained windows. The principal residence is Mottisfont Abbey, an ancient mansion erected on the site of an Austin priory founded by William de Briwere in the reign of King John. It was intended to have been suppressed by Henry VII., who procured a bull to that effect from Pope Alexander, but it continued till the Dissolution, when its revenues were valued at £167 15s. 8d. The site was given to Lord Sandys by Henry VIII. in exchange for Chelsea, in Middlesex. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mottisfont to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Mottisfont has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Mottisfont from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU319276 (Lat/Lon: 51.046996, -1.547013), Mottisfont which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)