"NEWNHAM, a parish in the hundred of Basingstoke, county Hants, 4½ miles N.E. of Basingstoke, its post town, and 2 from the Winchfield railway station. The village, which is of small extent, and is wholly agricultural, is situated on the line of the South-Western railway. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Maplederwell annexed, in the diocese of Winchester, value £400, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has recently been restored. Lord Dorchester is lord of the manor. There is a National school, established in 1840. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]