"NEWTON-VALENCE, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of Selborne, county Hants, 4 miles S. of Alton, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The parish contains the hamlet of Noah-Hill. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £512. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket, or, according to others, to St. Mary, has an embattled tower containing three bells. There is an infant school, chiefly supported by the vicar. Manor House and Pelham House are the principal residences. Captain C. E. Chawner is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]