National Gazetteer (1868) - Nursling
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"NURSLING, (or Nutshalling), a parish in the hundred of Redbridge, county Hants, 2 miles N. of Redbridge, its railway station and post town, 32 1 of Romsey, and 5 N.W. of Southampton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Romsey to Southampton, near the Andover canal and river Anton, or Test. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. About half the land is arable, the remainder meadow and pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £550, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a stone and brick structure, with a tower surmounted by a wooden spire. Tho interior has a monument of the Mill family. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum, which goes to Crammer's Sunday-school. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a private lunatic asylum, called Grove Place, which was formerly a hunting-seat of Queen Elizabeth, and is approached by an avenue of lime trees."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]