"NUTLEY, a parish in the lower half of the hundred of Bermondspit, county Hants, 5½ miles S.W. of Basingstoke, its post town and railway station, and 13½ N.E. of Winchester. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. It is a meet for the H. H. hounds. The Basingstoke canal, and the line of the South-Western railway, pass through the parish. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £200, and the glebe comprises 23½ acres. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Candover-Preston, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a flint and stone edifice, rebuilt in 1846. Thomas Fitzgerald, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole landowner. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]