"ODIHAM, a parish and market town in the hundred of the same name, county Hants, 28 miles N.E. of Winchester, 41 W. by S. of London, and 3 from the Winchfield station on the London and South-Western railway. The parish is intersected by the line of the London and South-Western railway, and by the Basingstoke canal; this latter passes about a mile N.E. of the town, and has on its banks commodious wharves, chiefly employed for the conveyance of chalk, timber, and coals, in which a considerable trade is carried on. The parish is of large extent, comprising about 7,200 acres, of which nearly two-thirds are arable, the remainder meadow, pasture, and hop grounds, with about 300 acres of woodland, and double that extent of common. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]