"OVERTON, a parish in the hundred of Overton, county Hants, 4 miles N.E. of Whitchurch. It is a station on the Yeovil and Exeter branch of the London and South-Western railway. It is situated on the Great Western road, near the head of the river Test. It is an extensive parish, comprising, besides the town of its own name, the hamlets of Polhampton, Quidhampton, and Southington. It is a prescriptive borough, and was formerly a market town. Prior to the passing of the Reform Bill it returned two members to parliament. There are numerous malthouses and a silk mill, giving employment to a number of the female inhabitants. The Whitchurch union poorhouse is situated in this parish. Overton is the kennelling place of the Vine hounds. The land is almost wholly arable, with about 600 acres of woodland. The tithes of Tadley have been commuted for a rent-charge of £229 12s. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]