"OVINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Fawley, county Hants, 2 miles S.W. of New Alresford, its post town, and 5½ N.E. of Winchester. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a valley on the river Itchin, and is wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1812. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £130, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is of great antiquity, and has a wooden tower containing four bells. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. There is a National school. The Bishop of Winchester is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]