"OWSLEBURY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Fawley, county Hants, 4 miles S. of Winchester, its post town, and 6 N. of Bishop's Waltham. The village is situated on the old road from Winchester to Bishop's Waltham, and is principally agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Colden-Common. The manor belongs to the Mildmays of Dogmersfield. The Hambledon hounds meet on Owlesbury Down. About two-thirds of the land is arable. The remainder meadow, pasture, and common. This parish, in conjunction with that of Twyford, formed one vicarage previously to 1832, at which period Owslebury was endowed by the late Mrs. Alice Long, of Marwell Hall, as a perpetual curacy. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £590 7s., and the vicarial for £171 10s. The impropriation belongs to the Hospital of St. Cross. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The following book contains useful information about the history of Owslebury and the surrounding area:
- "The Mildmay Family and the Marwell Estate 1744~1859: Transcripts of Various Documents Prepared for a Sale of Estate in 1859" (ISBN 1478150912) - this book has recently been published by Wayne Cronin-Wojdat.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Owslebury to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Owslebury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Owslebury from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU514224 (Lat/Lon: 50.998869, -1.269307), Owslebury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)