"OWSLEBURY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Fawley, county Hants, 4 miles S. of Winchester, its post town, and 6 N. of Bishop's Waltham. The village is situated on the old road from Winchester to Bishop's Waltham, and is principally agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Colden-Common. The manor belongs to the Mildmays of Dogmersfield. The Hambledon hounds meet on Owlesbury Down. About two-thirds of the land is arable. The remainder meadow, pasture, and common. This parish, in conjunction with that of Twyford, formed one vicarage previously to 1832, at which period Owslebury was endowed by the late Mrs. Alice Long, of Marwell Hall, as a perpetual curacy. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £590 7s., and the vicarial for £171 10s. The impropriation belongs to the Hospital of St. Cross. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]