"PENTON-MEWSEY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Andover, county Hants, 3 miles N.W. of Andover, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £286, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £315. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. There is a free school, which was erected by voluntary contributions in 1815 "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Penton Mewsey to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Penton Mewsey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Penton Mewsey from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU335478 (Lat/Lon: 51.228061, -1.521993), Penton Mewsey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)