"PETERSFIELD, a parish, post and market town, and parliamentary borough, in the lower half hundred of Finch Dean, county Hants, 17 miles S.E. of Winchester, and 54 S.W. of London, and a station on the South-Western railway. It is situated on the old road from London to Portsmouth, and near the river Rother. It is a polling-place for the county elections, and a petty sessions town; also the seat of a new County Court and superintendent registry. The borough first returned members to parliament in the 35th year of Edward VI., from which period it returned two members, until the passing of the Reform Act, by which it was deprived of one, and the privilege of voting extended to the £10 householders of the old borough, and of the adjoining district. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]