"POPHAM, a parish in the lower half of Bermondspit hundred, Basingstoke division, county Hants, 2 miles E. of Mitcheldever, its post town, and 7 S.W. of Basingstoke. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. Popham was formerly the seat of a family of the same name. The London and South-Western railway passes a little to the W. of the village, through two tunnels, each of 200 yards in length, and has a station at Andover Load. The living is a curacy annexed to the perpetual curacy of Woodmancott, in the diocese of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is an ancient edifice, and was once the chapel adjoining the Earl of Popham's mansion. There is a National school. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor and sole landowner. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]