"PRESTON CANDOVER, a parish in the hundred of Lower Bermondspit, Basingstoke division of the county of Southampton, 6 miles to the N.E. of New Alresford. Andover is its post town. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester, value with the perpetual curacy of Nutley annexed, £228, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a small bequest for a school. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Preston Candover to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Preston Candover has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Preston Candover from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU618415 (Lat/Lon: 51.16914, -1.116958), Preston Candover which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)