"PRIVETT, a parish in the upper half of the hundred of East Meon, Petersfield division of county Hants, 6 miles N.W. of Petersfield, and 13 from Winchester. Alton is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. It was called by the Saxons Pruntesflod and Pryfeas. The living is a curacy* annexed to the rectory* of West Meon, in the diocese of Winchester. The church has a tower containing five bells. There is a free school, also a girls' school. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Privett to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Privett has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Privett from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU676273 (Lat/Lon: 51.040906, -1.037564), Privett which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)