"ROCKBOURNE, (or Rockburn), a parish in the hundred of Fordingbridge, Ringwood division of county Hants, 4 miles N.W. of Fordingbridge, its post town, and 9 S.W. of Salisbury. The parish, which is of large extent, comprises the hamlets of Brickhill and Sandhill Heath. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The surface is hilly, and comprises a considerable extent of downs bordering on Salisbury Plain. The soil is principally a chalky loam, intermixed with clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £675, and the glebe contains 116 acres. The living is a donative* in the diocese of Winchester, value £624. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure, with a wooden tower containing a clock and three bells. The chancel was rebuilt in 1830, at the expense of Lady Coote. The church contains several monuments to the Coote family, including one to Sir Eyre Coote, the captor of Pondicherry. There are parochial schools for both sexes. Near the church are traces of an extensive nunnery, now a farmhouse. West Park is the principal residence. The Earl of Shaftesbury is lord of the manor and principal landowner. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rockbourne to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rockbourne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Rockbourne from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU112189 (Lat/Lon: 50.969142, -1.841197), Rockbourne which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)