"SHERFIELD-ENGLISH, a parish in the hundred of Thorngate, Romsey division of county Hants, 43 miles N.W. of Romsey, its post town, and 2 S. of Dunbridge railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a valley, and is wholly, agricultural. The surface is undulating, commanding extensive views of-New Forest and the Isle of Wight. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £284 16s., and the glebe comprises 39 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £350. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. The register dates from 1745. There is a free school. Melchett Park is the principal residence. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]