"SOUTH STONEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Mainsbridge, county Hants, 3 miles N.E. of Southampton, its post town, and 2½ from the Bishopstoke railway station. The parish, which is extensive, comprises the chapelry of Portswood and the tythings of Allington, Barton, Bittern, Eastley Pollack, and Shamblehurst. It is situated on the W. bank of the river Itchen, and was the Roman Ad Lapidem, on the way to Winchester. The principal residence is South Stoneham Park. At Wood Mills were Taylor's block-making works. It is the head of a new Poor-law Union embracing 9 parishes; but belongs to the Southampton New County Court district. A portion of it is within the borough of Southampton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £500, in the patronage of the Rector of St. Mary's, Southampton. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a tower and three bells. In addition to the parish church are the district churches of St. James, West End, Portswood, and Bittern, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies, varying in value from £270 to £100. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Stoneham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which South Stoneham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for South Stoneham from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU463167 (Lat/Lon: 50.9477, -1.342478), South Stoneham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)