"SOUTH STONEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Mainsbridge, county Hants, 3 miles N.E. of Southampton, its post town, and 2½ from the Bishopstoke railway station. The parish, which is extensive, comprises the chapelry of Portswood and the tythings of Allington, Barton, Bittern, Eastley Pollack, and Shamblehurst. It is situated on the W. bank of the river Itchen, and was the Roman Ad Lapidem, on the way to Winchester. The principal residence is South Stoneham Park. At Wood Mills were Taylor's block-making works. It is the head of a new Poor-law Union embracing 9 parishes; but belongs to the Southampton New County Court district. A portion of it is within the borough of Southampton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £500, in the patronage of the Rector of St. Mary's, Southampton. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a tower and three bells. In addition to the parish church are the district churches of St. James, West End, Portswood, and Bittern, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies, varying in value from £270 to £100. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]