"SOUTH WARNBOROUGH, a parish in the hundred of Bermondspit, county Hants, 2¾ miles S.W. of Odiham, its post town, and 6 S. of Winchfield railway station. The village is situated on the road from Odiham to Alton. The H. H. hounds meet in this parish. Queen Elizabeth resided occasionally at Odiham, and having one morning breakfasted at Warnborough manor-house, then occupied by Sir Thomas White, knighted that gentleman in his own room. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value £594, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains a curious monument to Sir T. White and family. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum, of which £6 go to Duncan's Sunday-school. T. M. Wayne, Esq., is lord of the manor. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]